called the "Guardian of the Gulch", the Old Fire Tower is the city's
symbol. Built in 1876, the tower was manned round the clock to keep
vigilance over the city and sound the alarm should fire or smoke be
spotted. At one time, there were many other towers in town. Today,
Helena's guardian is one of five left standing in the United States.