Alley was begun in the early 1860's, when brick was freighted in from St. Louis,
Missouri by Louis Reeder to begin a series of 1-bedroom cabins for local
miners. The Morelli Bridge above the Alley was inspired by a bridge in
Milan. Today, the buildings are used for shops and the Stonehouse
restaurant. The Alley was recently donated to the Montana Heritage
Commission by Darrell and Kathy Gustin. At the beginning of Reeder's Alley
is the Pioneer Cabin, the first house in Helena, built in 1865.